Friday, November 9, 2007

Wow

I had an amazing experience on Wednesday night. One of my good friends, Genna, from my previous ward called me and asked if I would come down to their young women's activity that night and take pictures of the ladies. They were giving a presentation of their personal progress projects and the young women's leaders had gotten the girls tiara's and sashes that had the value they had chosen to do their project on with the overall theme of the beauty within. Genna told me that they had an amazing speaker coming so I was really excited since I had not yet been a part of a young women's event and I was going to be able to see a bunch of my good friends from that ward.

All the young women were dressed up and looked so beautiful. You could see how they carried themselves with confidence and pride & their young women's leaders were so proud of them; it was smiles from wall to wall. The speaker was Melanie from my current ward and she was amazing. I absolutely love to hear her speak! She has such an amazing spirit and way with words, every time I listen to her I come away with a renewed desire to better myself. Melanie shared with these young women the importance of remaining true to themselves no matter what the world tells them to believe. She shared some stories from her youth and the gave the ladies some scripture to draw on in tough times. I have never wanted to go back and relive my high school years, but this night made me wish that I had been a part of young women's and gave me the strongest desire to have a bunch of little girls.

The feeling in that room was so warm and even though I knew the struggles that the world was going to put in everyone of those values intact as long as they stayed true to themselves and remained close to their Heavenly Father. Hearing their strong voices declare their belief in their own faith, divine nature, individual worth, knowledge, choice & accountability, good works and integrity made me stand a little taller and recognize that even though I don't have a daughter I have plenty of young women in my life and I can be a great example in each one of these values. I love how inspired all of the youth programs are in our church. The values that are taught and the leaders who guide with such love for the youth and only desire for them to grow up true to themselves. I can only imagine how many struggles would have been lessened and how many mistakes I could have missed had I been a part of such an amazing program.

I have received quite a bit of persecution for joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints from people I had truly thought were my friends. I wish that those people could have been there Wednesday night and front of these young women I truly knew that they would all be able to make it through with seen how amazing those young women are and felt how powerful the spirit was in that room. Thank you Genna, Melanie and all of you young women for a wonderful evening and my renewed desire to be a better woman!

5 comments:

Casey Lu said...

I am so glad you had that experience...it is hard being converts and knowing that we could of been involved when we were young and miss out on a lot of heartaches, torment, and had someone to lean on. But at the same time I think we can look back on the mistakes we made and know we are stronger now, and though we could have been happier, we can NOW appreciate and KNOW that what we have the true church in our life. Also that our youth has a chance to not make the mistakes we once made. I was in YW last year and I loved it, it was quite an experience. Most of the time I felt that I wasn't a good example for the YW and so didn't do as great of a job as I could have but now missing it I see that I could of done better and helped those that were struggling much more than I did with my experiences to make sure they didn't make them.

I am so glad you got to have that time with them! It is so much fun and looked like you all had a blast!!!!

Amie said...

they are so cute in their tiaras and sashes! I had good fun tonight; though my feet are killing me. Those shoes may be hot, but they are definitely not the marathon type.

Amie said...

such awesome thoughts!

Jaime said...

How fun for you to be part of such a fun and spiritual evening. I heart the Young Women program and all the great YM we have within our ward. I agree that Melanie is such a great speaker and esp for the youth. I love to hear all of her sweet stories and experiences!

Jesika said...

YW are so special!! They are amazing girls! I miss being in the YW program in our ward TONS! Those girls have a VERY special place in my heart! :o) Just wait until you have girls or you get to serve in YW's! There nothing else like it! :o) I think it's fantastic for you to have had that opportunity.....