Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My new feature - You can Cook!

So I decided that I would start a new feature on my blog. I decided that I would pick a recipe a week that I enjoy and photograph the process of making the yummy dish. This week we are starting with my hubby's favorite marbled pumpkin cheesecake. Yummy!

INGREDIENTS

1 package (not box) of cinnamon graham crackers
1/3 cup butter, melted

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup white sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.

You need to crush the graham crackers. I generally do this in my food processor, but if you've had a bad day or some kids that need to get a little energy out you can put the crackers into a ziplock bag and crush them with the bottom of a heavy glass or rolling pen.


Just blend or beat them until they are very fine


Empty the crushed crackers into a bowl. Pour the melted butter into the crackers.

Mix the two together until they make a crumbly yummy looking mixture. It's best to use a fork for this process.


Turn the cracker mixture into a 9 inch springform pan. Then press them into the bottom and about a half inch up the sides of the pan. This part can get tricky and if you work too fast you will end up bringing chunks of the crust up from the pan. Try to use your finger tips as much as possible starting from the middle and work your way out rotating the pan with your free hand.

Your end product should resemble this.

In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla just until smooth.

Mix in eggs one at a time, blending well after each.

Set aside 1 cup of the mixture.

Blend 1/4 cup sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the remaining mixture.

Spread the pumpkin flavored batter into the crust.

Drop the plain batter by spoonfuls onto the top.

Swirl with something thin but blunted at the end to create a marbled effect. I use one of my chopsticks but the handle of a wooden spoon will work just as well. Remember that you are not trying to mix the two layers just create a swirl pattern. Be sure and not go to deep or you will disturb the crust and that will not make for good baking.

Make sure you don't over do the swirling or everything will just blend right together.


Bake 55 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the filling is set. Include a oven safe dish filled with water to help keep the humidity level high. Remember that the filling will still have a little jiggle to it when it's done and will set up to be completely firm after cooling.

Run a knife around the edge of the pan. This is very important as you will end up with cracks on the top of your cheesecake if you don't loosen the edges. Allow to cool before removing pan rim. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving. You can serve it with whipped cream on your best china or just eat it out of the pan either way pat yourself on the back cause you just made your first marbled pumpkin cheesecake. Woo Hoo!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

That looks so Yummy!!! I love cheesecake, but have never tried pumpkin.
I'm so glad you posted I was wondering what happened to ya.
So did you finish the book?

Amie said...

Excellent work, me matey!!! I'm a little a'scered of the pumpkin, but with cream cheese, how can this recipe go wrong?