Friday, September 7, 2007

jobs, lungs and some chicken & waffles

So Wednesday I went in for the bronchoscopy (don’t know if I spelled that right). It was a horrifying experience. I went in and the nurses poked and prodded me for about 30 minutes. IV’s and swabs and horrible tasting stuff. Then they explain that they will cover my eyes because they are going to be using some saline and other liquid and they wanted to protect my eyes. It think that’s good, watching out for me I feel protected. Then they tell me we’re gonna give you some Demerol (holy cow that’s a lovely drug) and Verset (again spell wrong I’m sure) which is a hypnotic so I’ll be awake but unaware of what’s going on. Well they told me that I would remember them putting the towel over my eyes and then I would wake up in recovery…………..wrong!!!!!!!! I felt and remembered everything after the towel covered my eyes. I felt the scope going down my throat, I felt the saline and then I felt what it feels like to drown as my lungs filled up. I sputtered, coughed and struggled to which the Dr. responded by telling the nurse I needed more Verset (uh duh!) then I don’t remember anything until I was wheeled to recovery. Holy cow let me tell you I thought I knew what panic felt like, but I now know that I have never felt panic until that moment. I also know that I never want to drown, that was a horrible experience!


On a lighter note I have a new food addiction! My boss and some co-workers and I went out to lunch on Thursday. I love when we do that cause they love to eat and having 3 natives in the group who have lived their entire lives in central Phoenix means we go to yummy lesser known places. I often get treated to Long Wong’s wings, Oregano’s Pizza, Rito’s, Juan’s, Guadalajara, La Tolteca, China Chile, Yins, Crazy Jim’s, Pete’s Fish and Chips of the list could go on and on. I’m seeing here why I have not lost any weight this year, hmmmmmmmm. So Sunday night while eating dinner with friends we broke into a discussion about favorite food places. I was told about LoLo’s Chicken and Waffles. Well low and behold guess where we went to lunch yesterday. Oh my goodness can I please say we had such a good time. My boss was raised in Detroit and as soon as we sat down in the yellow room with the head thumping R&B music and the intoxicating aroma of succulent and delicious soul food he slipped right back into the hood. It was too funny to see him talking like he was back home rather then a respected federal agent we all started to pick it up by the time out food got to us. The food was unreal, they most yummy chicken I’ve had in a long time and if you go and don’t get the mac n’ cheese you’ve just wasted the meal. We all had a great time looking at the photos and signatures on the wall, and we about busted a gut at the hand written sign informing us to Watch Yo Step on the way out. We checked out the website when we got back to the office, here’s a little history on LoLo’s:

“Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles is owned by Larry "Lo-Lo" White, the grandson of Mrs. White, the owner of Phoenix landmark Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe. Larry started preparing chicken and waffles outside Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe in 1997 to earn extra money. Mrs. White taught him well. It's not uncommon to hear customers say Lo-Los's fried chicken is the very best they've ever had. Lo-Lo opened his own restaurant five years ago in the summer of 2002. Since Lo-Lo's has been open they've offered catering service for the likes of the Arizona Cardinals, Angie Stone, Mary J. Blige, Anthony Hamilton, The Whispers, Snoop Dogg, Allen Iverson, Steve Francis and members of the Chicago Cubs.
Food critics call Lo-Lo's Chicken and Waffles the best soul food restaurant in the Valley.
And Larry "Lo-Lo" White's fried chicken and golden brown waffles back up those claims. The amiable family restaurant has been celebrated in publications from the Arizona Republic to the Food & Life dining guide. Many consider the most popular dish to be KK's number one: three fried chicken pieces, two waffles, two cheese-covered eggs, onions, and a side of grits. However, save room for the delicious Sandy Sand's Red Velvet Cake. This small hole-in-the-wall restaurant serves chicken and waffles all day, but Lo-Lo's also offers Southern favorites such as catfish, chicken gizzards, collard greens, grits, and the cheesiest macaroni in town.”

Let me tell you, anytime you are down here in Phoenix and hungry call me I will gladly accompany you to LoLo’s for some absolutely marvelous chicken and waffles!

Lastly………………………………I got the promotion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t even have to interview, woo hoo! I should start the 17th but there is a chance that I will have to wait until the 1st of October is they make me drug test again. I’m super excited to get this new position. I will have credentials and now can go into the field to conduct interviews, serve subpoenas and summons, assist with surveillance and search warrants. I can’t wait! This is gonna be so much fun! Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. Woo Hoo!

9 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm so glad you got the promotion! Congratulations again! Holy cow! I LOVE red velvet cake! It's just divine! Mmmmm! I've never had chicken & waffles, I've always wondered. Looks yummy.

BTW: I posted that long before we spoke last night. :) And that post was about what was great about WEDNESDAY! :) I'm so proud of you for reading Twilight. I ordered them just a few minutes ago from overstock.com. I think I got a good deal!

And speaking of good deals! Tomorrow is going to be lots of fun! Talk to you later to confirm details!

Natalie said...

Almost forgot to tell you, you're all set up for the 15th! Yea! I had sent a blank email to Ashley. Don't know how I managed that, but anyway - that's what the hold up was. DRRRRRR!

Jaime said...

I totally have to go there now that I saw that yummy picture. I haven't been in awhile, it is a scarry place after dark, DON'T go w/out your hubby after nightfall! I love the Kool-Aide too, I swear they have to double the sugar amount!! Glad you enjoyed, we will have to go together sometime!!

Toni said...

Yummm!!! All the yummy hole in the wall restaurants is totally one of the things I miss not working downtown anymore. I love Crazy Jim's. I'm sorry your bronchoscopy(sp?) was such an awful experience. Hopefully they will be able to tell you something to make it worth it. Congratulations on the promotion!

Amie said...

chicken...and waffles...and macaroni and cheese .... and red velvet cake?

Is this cook STONED?

AND!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So awesome, woman!! So, you'll be hosting the next partay, right? I know this is a huge blessing for you guys. Great going!

Carrie said...

Oh my goodness Christine, I am so sorry about your bronchoscopy. How terrifying that must have been. Thank goodness they were able to tell.
Congrats on your promotion!!

Casey Lu said...

Congrats on your promotion!!!! The food sounds delicious!!! I will eat pretty much anything and the waffles sound so yummy this morning!! Sorry to hear that your bronchoscopy went so bad! I hope that things get better for you to breath! Hang in there!

heather said...

Hello where have i been haven't even heard about the promotion! How cool! Yeah for you. You didn't tell me what the patriarch said tonight. Been to lolo's. I love those pictures. Did you like the cool aide. I didn't try that cake.

Anonymous said...

Lolo's is without a doubt one of the best Phoenix restaurants. And Larry White is one of the coolest restaurant proprietors in the city.