Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Order of the Phoenix


Well I went and stood for 2 hours outside with 300 other crazy people to see the newest Harry Potter movie. Let me first say I do not enjoy todays teenagers and their constant attitudes, ugggghhh. They were out in strong forces on Tuesday night and it made me so glad to be past that stage of life! However, they did provide entertainment all dressed up as Hogwarts students wearing the red and gold proudly and waving wands with utterances of wingardium leveousa and reducto fluttering through the warm summer air.
Finally the doors opened and we began to usher into the cool theater. We took our seat and settled in for the evening. The curtains opened an hour later and we were whisked into the wonderful world of modern day England.
Though young Potter is not quite so young anymore and I must say he has beef caked up a little bit, I'm sure for the lovely Miss. Cho, he can still command the screen. So for those of you who read the books this one does in fact start during the summer with the ordered dementor attack on our star. The movie stays pretty much right on with the story lines major plots. Obviously there were many side plots that didn't make it to the big screen, such as Hermonie's struggle to free the house elves. I was truly impressed with the House of Black and the Department of Mysteries and how they were portrayed, they both looked just like I had imagined. I did notice some minor liberties this director used that may annoy the hardcore analysts out there; such as the dog Sirrus transfigures into is different then the one in Prisinor of Azkaban.
They did do some brilliant casting though. I felt that the young girl playing Luna Lovegood was perfectly executed and Dorthy Umbridge was exactly the way she appeared to me in the book; a calloused, calculated pink covered dictator.
Hogwarts opens it's doors this year to a darker world filled with doubt regarding Harry's claims and his friends struggle to clear his name. They all fight to bring the awareness out that He-who-shall-not-be-named is back and rising up his army. This movie is dark and deals with Harry's anger, just as the book did. We see the set up for the next books huge battles and ultimate sacrifice at the end. I must say (in an ever so careful way so as to not ruin it for anyone who hasn't read the 6th book yet) that I had a very hard time with Snape in this movie. I keep wanting to hate him, then he would turn around and help the struggling hero.
All in all I was thoroughly impressed and will buy it the day that it comes out without question.
Hopefully you all will get to experience the movie so we can talk all about it soon....................only 2 weeks left for book 7!
oh ya..................................Harry gets to kiss Cho too........................hehehehe

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine -
I'm glad that you enjoyed the movie. We had a lot of the same kind of teenagers at the theater we went to also. That's just part of the whole midnight movie experience. I have now seen it twice and have to say that although it was a good movie, I was kinda disappointed. I just finished re-reading the 5th book a few weeks ago(big mistake)so I was really aware of the inconsistencies. I also think that they left out stuff that may be pivotal in book 7, but who knows, I could be wrong.I won't talk about it here cuz I don't want to spoil it for others. I can't wait for next week. Then we'll know all!
Toni :)

Natalie said...

I was wondering when you were going to post about it!!! I'm so glad you did! And I'm so glad they left out the part about freeing the house elves. That was just irritating to me when I read the book. :) Thanks for the preview! So excited to go see it!

Amie said...

WHOEVER HASN'T READ THE BOOKS, GET OFF THIS COMMENT POST, lol

I am absolutely positive that Snape will turn out to be a good guy in the end. I believe what happened in 6 happened due to a certain promise/vow (can't remember the right word) he'd made...nuff said.

Also, he's one of my favorite actors, so I can't ever hate him, no matter how mean and ugly he is.