Tuesday, April 8, 2008

200th post and some bad news

Well I must say that it sucks that my 200th post is about such crappy news. We apparently had a budget meeting yesterday while I was home sick. In that meeting there was a discussion of no new prosecutors and no new staff at all for the city. This is really bad news given that our 3 prosecutors are so overworked. I actually think that one of them may quit and start his own law office over this all.

sSo then today there is another budget meeting where we are told that our raise is 3.4% instead of the 11% promised (really I see no problem with this because I come from the school of something is always better then nothing & having come from the Fed where you are lucky to get 1.2% annually this is great news. And really I still have a job right now and that's more then a lot of people in this country can say right now. And I still have health insurance right?). However that was followed by the news that insurance is going up 15%. Oh and they are combining our sick and personal time so we are going to be out hours.

Oh and we have a 7am mandatory meeting with the city manager and then a mandatory meeting with HR, so that sounds like great news huh? I'm really trying to be positive but I can feel in my bones that layoffs are right around the corner.

So I'm looking for all sorts of ways to cut my costs now just in case. I am actually going to do it and get rid of the cable, the house phone will be on the cuts list too, scrappy supplies are out and our diet is about to change rapidly to high fiber and very low meat. Now I'm not being an alarmist or a doomsdayer but I'm going to err on the side of caution and save for that rainy day.

Well I'll fill ya all in about the other super fun meetings tomorrow.




(I should have called in sick today too while I still had sick leave.)



Edit - If you are a fan of romantic dramady with a realistic feel that you don't have to think too much about and love those awkard family movies give this a try - it made me smile tonight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! If it's not one thing it's another with this job! That stinks!

Sorry to hear you were so sick. I hope you're feeling better. Call me if you need anything.

Casey Lu said...

So sorry to hear that is going on with the city!? I am quite surprised as all the revenue the city has had coming in and with all the homes and businesses for the last few years. I will pray that things go well! There is nothing wrong with being prepared! It is what our church has been telling us for the last two years...have your food supply and have your things ready! I really need to get mine going!!! I hope your feeling better soon and that there isn't any layoffs! I will pray! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AZ HS Spotlight said...

Oh, no! I'm so sorry! Keep your hopes up and your prayers going. I'll pray for you too. We are going through horrible budget stuff with the State. We've been on a Hiring Freeze since February and it's only a start from what they're saying.